Friday, May 18, 2012

YouTube Bullies

Along with many good (and bad) things, the internet has bred a very strange and sad sort of bully.  Bullying, whether in person or on the internet, is a pretty hot topic these days and rightly so; it can be a cruel and horrible thing with tragic consequences.  What I've been seeing more of these days is the outrageous and borderline psychotic stuff people will post with reckless abandon on any internet thread and even on YouTube channels and FB pages.  Admittedly, I've said a few questionable things in the past but there are some folks out there that will spew out the most vile and pathetic things like there is no cosmic return for such actions.

I can't watch a video on YouTube without noticing someone just going off on some tangent in the comments that turns into a full-blown verbal smack down.  People aren't just making fluid points on there, they are full-on ripping and berating other folks like they just killed their pet dog and burned down their house.  It's crazy to me.  Maybe I've confused this sort of bullying with 'trolling', a whole other topic, but man it would be nice to watch a simple video without having to discover that some mild difference of opinion has morphed into full-scale thermonuclear war.

Maybe I shouldn't read the comments ever, sure, but sometimes I like to comment of videos as well so it's hard not to do a bit of reading.  Occasionally there are a few interesting gems buried in the comment that may teach me a few things about what I'm watching.  I definitely think more folks should disable the comments on their videos, like I did today, to avoid any of the childish stuff people end up posting on there.

People who engage in this behaviour are just the lowest form of sub-human on earth to me.  To sit in front of a computer and just mindlessly tear down another person for no good reason is the ultimate form of cowardice I can think of.  It is the saddest, most pathetic and fucked-up thing I can imagine someone doing from the safety of their parent's cold and lonely basement.  Karma is a real thing, regardless if you believe in it or not, and if you spend much of your time being a shitty person, then shitty things are going to happen to you.  Simple as that.

This reminds me of a quote I read quite recently: 'On the internet people can be whatever they want, it's too bad so many people choose to be stupid.'

Well said.

No comments: